Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Ride to Remember

I was in a cycling crash a little more than 2 weeks ago.  It was the beginning of a group ride in Brenham, TX.  We had just gone over a hill and were descending towards a metal grated bridge.  The bridge was still wet from morning dew/fog.  The last thing I can remember was approaching the bridge.  Next thing I know I am being lifted up on a backboard onto an ambulance.  As soon as the realization hit of what was going on I was struck by a moment of what can only be described as sheer panic.  I looked down at my feet and have never in my life been so happy to see my toes wiggle.  I don't remember the crash but from what I gather my bike lost traction going over the bridge, and came out from under me.  I fell directly on the left side of my body dislocating my shoulder, breaking a bone in my wrist, severely bruising my left hip, fracturing 3 bones in my cheek and causing a significant concussion.

After the crash, I spent much of the first week in bed on pain meds.  The following weekend I had surgery to fix the three fractured bones in my face.  Although my face is still a little swollen and in some pain I am feeling much better.  My shoulder, hip and wrist seem to be almost entirely recovered from the crash.  It feels like it has been much more than 2.5 weeks since the accident as I have spent much of this time in bed.  Although I am itching to get back to training I understand how lucky I am to be in the condition I am in.  Needless to say it could have been exponentially worse.  A big thanks to my parents for helping to take care of me, friends and family for the get well cards and gifts and my training buddies for getting me a new cycling helmet (the other one is now retired in my garage).

I'd like to leave you all with two things to take away from my experience:
  • ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET - You never know when you are going to hit a bump wrong, lose traction, or even worse, have a run in with a car.  No matter how far you're riding or what kind of bike you are on, wear your helmet.  I will still wear mine even though I fully intend on riding a tricycle with a motorcycle helmet for the next month.
  • Buy a Road ID - This was my second time riding with this group (Saturdayride.com, they are a fantastic group of people by the way) and most of them probably had no idea who I was.  Thanks to the Road ID the group knew my name and called my parents right after the crash.  The paramedics didn't have to bombard me with questions about who I was or what I was allergic to when my head was in a state of disarray.  This little bracelet is more beneficial than you could know. www.RoadID.com

No comments:

Post a Comment