Friday, January 14, 2011

A New Low

About 3 months ago there was one evening which made me begin to question whether I was too committed to triathlon.  I had a party to attend on a Thursday night which started around 7:00.  Naturally, I wanted to get a workout in before the party began so I hit the pool at my local gym after I got off work.  I finished my hour long set, showered and changed ready to head out to the party.  The one thing I didn't account for was dinner.  I didn't want to be late so I needed to pick something relatively fast and healthy.  Decided to stop at the Subway right outside my gym.  I picked up the norm, a foot-long turkey sandwich.  The bar was only about 4 miles away.  I ate the entire thing and a diet coke during my commute.  I parked at the bar, looked down at the empty sandwich bag and crumbs on my pants then proceeded to think to myself... This is really sad... yet I had a sense of pride.  Am not sure what was worse, that I found a time in which it was necessary to demolish a foot long sandwich in 7 minutes while operating a motor vehicle or that I was proud of doing so.

Last night it got worse... Same premise as before.  I had a happy hour that evening and wanted to get a run in before I met my friends.  As I was leaving the gym on my way to the bar I decided I needed to pick something up to eat.  The problem is that I am now on a gluten free diet (more on this in another post).  For those not familiar with gluten free it pretty much rules out all food that can be prepared in less than 10 minutes.  Once again, I was in a hurry and didn't have the time to wait for a proper meal so... I stopped at a gas station (pause for look of disgust).  My dinner last night consisted of a Muscle Milk (chocolate) and a Gatorade.  For some unknown reason this actually sounded like a good idea at the time but, yes... it was just as absolutely disgusting as it sounds.  This definitely goes down in my personal record books as one of the most disgusting meals (I really shouldn't call it a meal) I have ever had!

So next time anyone wants to question my dedication to triathlon, I will accompany them to the nearest gas station, help them find the Muscle Milk and Gatorade, and watch as they will undoubtedly enjoy this fabulous gluten free 2 minute "meal".

No comments:

Post a Comment